Modular Construction and Affordable Housing with Steven Haylestrom
December 7, 2022
“There’s no doubt in my mind, no doubt whatsoever, that a modular project is going to have a higher degree of quality than a conventional project. Modular allows even a small manufacturing facility to produce, you know, 100 homes in a year.”- Steven Haylestrom, The Modular Solution/Rise Up Modular
Construction is an ancient profession with deep roots in cultures around the world. While other industries change rapidly, our approach to constructing homes and buildings iterates at a snail’s pace.
As the need for homes grows, new construction techniques offer a much-needed update. Modular construction, where modules are built in factories and assembled on-site, is at the forefront of this innovation.
However, does a modular approach offer enough to sway contractors, architects, and decision-makers? Can it upset established methods, or will it remain niche, useful only in massive, repetitive projects?
Topics discussed in this interview:
- Steven’s background in modular construction
- How does modular construction differ?
- The biggest roadblock for modular construction today
- Specific benefits for choosing modular over traditional construction
- Quality and standards development
- The unique advantage of modular
- Advancements in construction methods
- The new role of the architect
- Design technology in modular construction