Reach your Customers through Emotion with Andrew Olsen
December 21, 2022
I decided early on that I wanted not just to have a job, but I wanted to have something a lot bigger than that. I wanted to have impact. I’ve learned that in 100 out of 100 instances, it’s always an emotional story that connects to that person’s heart that drives them to want to give. It’s about connecting your cause and your story with that person’s heart.” Andrew Olsen, DickersonBakker
The idea that people buy with emotion, not logic, is a long-held belief in sales. Although we may try to approach things with metrics and comparisons, attributes like appearance or messaging often win us over. Sometimes a strong personal connection can supersede any analysis. Emotional buying carries over to donating to charity and supporting nonprofits too.
Andrew Olsen has spent over 20 years serving in and leading nonprofits. He thrives on connecting with people, clarifying messages, and streamlining organizations. In this episode, he shares insights he’s gained over his career, all to improve your understanding and organization.
As the world changes, people will always respond to an emotional message. Charities and nonprofits do vital work, reaching those who need it most. Heed Andrew’s words and harness the power of emotional appeals in your own marketing.
Topics discussed in this interview:
- The origins of Andrew’s passion for philanthropy
- Individual motivations for giving
- How to vet a charity before donating
- Examining leadership with Andrew’s book 101 Biggest Mistakes Nonprofits Make And How You Can Avoid Them
- Similarities between fundraising for charity and landing a business deal
- The leadership transition on a generational level
- The importance of leaving a company well
- Choosing between a job and something more
- Rapid-fire questions