Solving the Housing Shortage with Respect with John Delia Jr.
January 4, 2023
“People are just looking for dignity, respect, and quality housing. So, when you put that quality product on the market, we have more than enough qualified tenants who move in.” John Delia Jr, Green Monkey Builders and Housing Joint Venture
Housing, specifically affordable housing, is a pressing concern for people worldwide. A house is more than a place to live; we work, eat, sleep, laugh, cry, grow, and do. Housing provides safety, security, and peace of mind. Without somewhere to sleep, somewhere to store our belongings, and eat, we are tremendously disadvantaged.
Unsurprisingly, a lack of affordable and liveable housing poses negative consequences for our society. But, while many solutions present themselves, John Delia Jr, a Midwest housing provider, believes the answer is simple: respect.
He exudes this respect in his treatment of not only his tenants but the buildings they live in. Continuing in the family business of real estate development, John restores old buildings to their former glory, employs a talented team of craftsmen, and aims to provide quality housing for all who need it.
Topics discussed in this interview:
- John’s youth around construction
- His first investment
- Leveraging a start into a career
- Developing a new business model for real estate investment
- Discussing his book, Life, Liberty, and Property: A Guide to Successful Real Estate Investing
- The origins of the Green Monkey name
- Insight into renovating old buildings
- John’s perspective on the skilled labor shortage
- Sharing skills between generations
- Gentrification and investing in communities
- Cold-formed steel and modular construction
- Rapid-fire questions
Connect with John on LinkedIn or visit his website, housingjointventure.com